Though people most often turn to their bathtubs when in need of a soothing activity, showers can be every bit as relaxing, if you’re using a shower steamer. Shower steamers are similar to bath bombs, as they’re created with baking soda, citric acid, and essential oils. But, instead of throwing your shower steamer in a full tub, you simply place it on the floor of your shower, where the water will activate the fizzing reaction and release essential oils into the air. Interested in making your own shower steamer? Here’s an easy DIY tutorial, using household products and tools that can be located at any craft store.
You will need:
• 2 cups baking soda
• 1 cup citric acid
• 1 cup cornstarch
• 3-5 tbsp water
• Essential oils - see below for suggestions
• Silicone baking/soap molds
1. Place the baking soda, citric acid, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter or large whisk to remove lumps and mix well.
2. Add the water slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time. You have to be very careful because if you add too much water too soon, the whole thing will fizz up. Work patiently, and as soon as the mixture feels like damp sand (that would be perfect for making a sandcastle), stop adding water.
3. Add the essential oils to your mixture, and after every few drops, use your pastry cutter or a fork to mash them into the mixture. You can use any blend of oils you’d like. For cold/flu symptoms, try 80 drops of eucalyptus and 40 drops peppermint essential oil. For a generally soothing shower, try 80 drops of lavender and 40 drops of geranium essential oils.
4. Place about 2 tbsp of mixture into each dome and use the back of a spoon or ice cream scoop to press down and smooth. Leave the domes to harden overnight. Once complete, the steamer will store for up to 6 months in a cool, dark cabinet.
When you’re ready to use the steamer, simply wet it under your shower head, place the steamer at the far end of the bath or shower, and breathe in the calming aromas of your DIY shower steamer!
Although we provide the utmost luxury at The Crossing Apartments in Denham Springs, Louisiana, we love going the extra mile with our digital resources! Spice up your life with something different, and try out this new routine, recipe, or recommendation today.