Have you ever tried Chinese lettuce wraps? Though they might sound exotic, think of Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps as delicious, chicken, and vegetable-filled sandwiches without buns. This recipe uses hoisin sauce – a Chinese barbecue sauce often found in the international aisle of supermarkets – to lend the chicken a universally appealing, yet distinct, flavoring. Lettuce wraps add a fresh touch to the dish, making this recipe perfect for hot spring or summer days. Skip Chinese takeout and try this recipe instead!
Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
• 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
• 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds thin-cut chicken breast or chicken tenders
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 orange, zested
• 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
• 1 small tin sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
• 3 scallions, chopped
• 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 1/2 large head iceberg lettuce, core removed, headquartered
1. Begin by slicing the mushrooms, if needed. Chop chicken into small pieces.
2. Preheat a large skillet or wok to high.
3. Add oil to a hot pan. Add chicken to the pan and sear meat by stir-frying a minute or 2. Add mushrooms and cook another minute or two. Add salt and pepper to season, then garlic. Cook a minute more.
4. Grate zest into pan, add bell pepper bits, chopped water chestnuts, and scallions. Cook another minute, continuing to stir fry mixture. Add hoisin sauce and toss to coat the mixture evenly.
5. Transfer the hot chopped barbecued chicken to serving platter and pile the quartered wedges of crisp iceberg lettuce along the side. To eat, pile spoonfuls of the chicken and vegetable mixture into lettuce leaves, wrapping lettuce around fillings similar to a sandwich.
Preparing the perfect for your family can be a challenge. With delightful recipe suggestions from The Crossing Apartments in Denham Springs, Louisiana, you and your family are sure to love the next meal.